US Department of the Interior What They are Saying

Date: Monday, September 12, 2022
Contact: Interior_Press@xxxxxxxxxxx

Indigenous Leaders Respond to Interior Department Removal of “Sq___” from
Federal Use

WASHINGTON — The Department of the Interior last week announced the final replacement names for nearly 650 geographic features featuring the word sq___. A final vote from the Board on Geographic Names completed historic efforts to remove a term from federal use that has historically been used as an offensive ethnic, racial and sexist slur, particularly for Indigenous women.

Here's what Indigenous leaders from across the country are saying:

Bobbi Webster, Oneida Nation: “Almost every young woman growing up on a reservation going into a non-reservation school has heard that term, has been called that. It was mean, and it was spiteful, and it was very hurtful.”

Jennifer Jermaine, White Earth Nation: “Changing the names is important to our Native community. It is important to all women to ensure geographic sites do not include defamatory terms meant to degrade and harm women in their names.”

Victoria Steele, Seneca Nation/Cayuga Nation: “This means so much to me. This goes to show the importance of having Indigenous representation at the highest level.”

Vernon Finley, Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes: “I think this will help bring awareness that we’re not mascots; we’re not just a sideshow. We’re living, breathing cultures. America’s claim is that rights are ‘for all.’ Yet, they fail to see that the original people of this continent are disrespected and ignored and treated as if we don’t exist. This will bring awareness that we aren’t gone; we aren’t anti-American. We’re human beings.”

Ron Corn Sr., Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin: “That helps mitigate a piece of the past that we just assumed would not perpetuate. So I think as a society we’re coming to terms with how we treat one another respectfully.”

Matthew Campbell, Native Village of Gambell: “Federal lands should be welcoming spaces for all citizens. It is well past time for derogatory names to be removed and tribes to be included in the conversation.”

###

Firstname Lastname | U.S. Department of the Interior | (555) 555-5555

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo