US Department of the Interior In Case You Missed It

Date: Friday, July 22, 2022
Contact: Interior_Press@xxxxxxxxxxx

Secretary Haaland Op-Ed Highlights Importance of the Native Vote

In a new op-ed on Indianz.com out today, Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland highlights the importance of Native people voting. In the new piece, she discusses the importance of democracy in Indigenous communities and the struggle to gain the right to vote. She also outlines the steps that President Biden and the Department of the Interior are taking to expand voting access.

"Recent attempts such as closing certain polling locations, limiting early voting, changing polling location hours, and even drawing maps to hush the voices of specific populations are consistent attempts to restrict voting access. With President Biden’s support, we are working with states to expand access to voting at Department of the Interior-operated post-secondary Tribal institutions," Secretary Haaland says.

The full op-ed can be viewed here: Our Ancestors Survived Against All Odds, We Owe It to Them to Vote.

###

U.S. Department of the Interior | 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC

FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube

This email was sent to list-blm-ca@xxxxxxxxxxx by: U.S. Department of the Interior · 1849 C Street, N.W. · Washington DC 20240 · 202-208-3100 GovDelivery logo