- Upcoming Events

YOUR PUBLIC LANDS

Destination: Point Arena-Stornetta coastal preserve

The Press Democrat, September 7, 2016
The ragged skirt of land at the edge of Point Arena, where the continent gives way to the Pacific Ocean, feels justly impermanent, so visible is its ongoing evolution and attrition… Jonna Hildebrand recalled visiting recently with travelers from England as they took in their breathtaking surroundings. “They said it was the most beautiful part of the West Coast they’d seen, and they were amazed that it was free,” said Hildebrand, a planning and environmental coordinator with the Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the property. A growing number of nature lovers have made the trek since March 2014, when President Barack Obama designated Point Arena-Stornetta’s 1,665 coastal acres part of the California Coastal National Monument, with locals documenting a rise in tourism. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,d1h6,lbs2,1bct,ijo3

Every Kid in a Park Brings History to Life

School librarian Erin Fitzpatrick-Bjorn has visited over 40 national parks so far. Her trips inspired her to bring the history and beauty of these national treasures into the classroom through Every Kid in a Park. The initiative, started by the White House, offers fourth graders, their families and educators free passes to explore public lands and waters — including national parks — nationwide. (Department of Interior blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,i0tj,l78w,1bct,ijo3

It's wild. It's scenic.

Check out this great U.S. Forest Service video on the Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River. Information provided on the U.S. Forest Service-Stanislaus National Forest website says: Described by river experts as one of the most challenging river runs in California, the main Tuolumne River is a scenic 18-mile journey. It passes through lands managed by the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. (Every Kid in a Park Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,ip7k,7b4j,1bct,ijo3

Related: #mypubliclandsroadtrip took a virtual ride down the Tuolumne River with Daniel Brasuell, California native and kayaking enthusiast. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,3fbh,9l62,1bct,ijo3

Welcome to final week of the 2016 #mypubliclandsroadtrip 2016 - Teacher Approved

>From September 7-11, we wrap up the 2016 summer roadtrip with “what I learned on my summer vacation” stops, including the annual Pony Express re-enactment and a cool dinosaur tracksite. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,k4t5,74c,1bct,ijo3

Related: New story books that recap roadtrip stops (Steller) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,7iup,5y87,1bct,ijo3

Related: Extreme Public Lands (Esri storymap journal) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,dhrr,1xth,1bct,ijo3

BLM will Require Overnight Wilderness Reservations in King Range

The Bureau of Land Management will require permits by reservation for overnight use in the King Range Wilderness and Backcountry Management Zone of the King Range National Conservation Area beginning January 9, 2017. The requirement will not affect day-use visitors or campgrounds outside the wilderness or backcountry areas. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,6yqt,esy4,1bct,ijo3

Happy anniversary to the Wilderness Act!

On September 3, 1964, President Lyndon Johnson signed this landmark conservation legislation. The BLM has stewardship responsibilities for 223 Wilderness Areas with over 8.7 million acres in 10 Western States. These areas are protected in their undeveloped state and offer outstanding recreation opportunities for visitors willing to experience nature on its own terms. BLM managed wilderness areas include vast southwestern deserts, red-rock canyons, rugged Pacific coastline and alpine peaks. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,9d5m,b9v9,1bct,ijo3

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Judge blocks Central California oil development over fracking

SF Gate, September 7, 2016
A federal judge on Tuesday blocked the U.S. Bureau of Land Management from opening more than 1 million acres in Central California to oil drilling because the agency did not properly explore the potential dangers of fracking. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,lbud,hh9c,1bct,ijo3

Trash spoiling desert canyons

Desert Dispatch, September 3, 2016
David Jensen stopped his pickup truck at the mouth of Mule Canyon just off Calico Road and stepped outside. He pointed to a Bureau of Land Management informational sign… Sterling White knows all too well how bad the problem Jensen describes is in the Calico Mountains. White calls it “trigger trash” and one of his jobs with the BLM is to coordinate cleanup efforts in the Inland Empire and High Desert areas. He is in charge of the Desert District Abandoned Mine Lands and Hazmat Program. White reported that the BLM spent $110,000 in 2014 cleaning up trigger trash in the desert district. The cost jumped to $225,000 in 2015 and $240,000 has been spent in 2016 so far. Read full story  http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,644q,8snw,1bct,ijo3

Related: Don't Dump on Public Lands Campaign (Don't Dump Idaho website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,j2uz,e498,1bct,ijo3

Related: Why You Should Care about Dumping on Public Lands! (BLM Idaho Flickr album) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,f6s4,hz50,1bct,ijo3

BLM seeks data to inform management plan for northwestern California

As work continues on developing a new land use plan for public lands in northwest California, the Bureau of Land Management is seeking information about the BLM-managed lands in the eight-county planning area. “We are asking members of the public to share data such as resource inventories and geo-spatial databases,” said Lisa Grudzinski, project leader for the Northwest California Integrated Resource Management Plan. “We hope that groups and individuals might have information that will add to our existing knowledge, giving us a more complete understanding of the public lands involved in this planning process.” (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,kp6x,bfl6,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

The Threat of Invasive Species

>From the Zika, the mosquito-borne virus recently making headlines across the globe, to Cheatgrass, which increases the danger of wildfire as the plant spreads across the Western U.S. – invasive species come in all shapes and sizes. But the one thing they have in common is the threat they pose. (Department of Interior blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,l097,a2a1,1bct,ijo3

Secretary Jewell to Make Major Renewable Energy Announcements in Three-State Tour

As part of President Obama’s Climate Action Plan to create jobs, cut carbon pollution and develop clean domestic energy, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell tomorrow will begin a three-state renewable energy tour to make several announcements about efforts to support renewable energy on public lands and waters. (Department of Interior News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,gi7g,2lxu,1bct,ijo3

Why large-scale wind power is so hard to build

USA Today, September 3, 2016
The Bureau of Land Management faces a problem and wants to shake up the rules around wind farm approvals. The problem is straight-forward on its face, but difficult to reconcile logically: Why are so few new large-scale wind projects being built? Despite the fact that nearly everyone – environmentalists, government regulators, and business interests –wants to build more wind farms, precious few are making it over the goal line. Since 2009, the Obama Administration has approved 46 wind farm projects that would cover a proposed 216,356 acres of public land. Yet only 15 of these 46 projects have made it into operation. The rest are stuck in limbo with years of mandatory environmental analysis ahead or have been canceled outright. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,64ol,9oyf,1bct,ijo3

BLM Announces Public Input Opportunities for the First of “Section 368” Energy Corridor Regional Reviews

The Bureau of Land Management announced public input opportunities for six regional reviews that will analyze the existing energy corridors designated for oil, gas, and hydrogen pipelines and electricity transmission and distribution facilities on Western Federal lands under BLM or U.S. Forest Service management. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,dntz,2udf,1bct,ijo3

Related: BLM, Forest Service, and Department of Energy released a study of the effectiveness of these corridors. (West-wide Energy Corridor Information Center website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,cyf7,a8gg,1bct,ijo3

Video: Bad news for bees – Help for Hawaii – and Kids in Parks: This Week at Interior

Secretary Jewell keynotes the World Conservation Congress, Interior takes on a Hawaiian scourge — Rapid ‘Ōhiʻa Death, new research shows bad news for bees and the beekeeping industry. Plus, it’s time for kids to get their free park passes. (Department of Interior YouTube) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,lkgx,6cfh,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

True or false? Bats can eat half their body weight in insects each night?

Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

September 10: Mustangs Trained by Rio Cosumnes Inmates Offered for Adoption in Elk Grove

Mustangs trained by inmates at the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center will be offered for adoption Saturday, September 10, at the correctional center. There will be a meet and greet from 9-10 a.m. at the correctional center, 12270 Bruceville Road. The Bureau of Land Management saddle-started horses will presented from 10-11 a.m., with the auction at 11 a.m. Bidding will start at $300. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,3zw9,64n7,1bct,ijo3

Related: Meet the Mustangs (Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,c97b,cb3w,1bct,ijo3

September 3 and 17: Night Adventures in the Monument

Friends of the Desert Mountains is hosting night adventures in the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument. (Friends of the Desert Mountains website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,k61i,8brc,1bct,ijo3

September 14, 28 and October 5: Community Conversations on Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument

The U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management are in the early stages of developing a management plan for the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument (BSMNM) and invite the public to participate in Community Conversations about the monument. The conversations are an opportunity for the public to express what they value in the management of the BSMNM. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,6brz,el4z,1bct,ijo3

September 17: Cosumnes River Preserve Guided Bat Paddle

Come join the Cosumnes River Preserve’s Paddle Team on annual bat paddle. Participants will meet in the Visitor’s Centers upper parking lot and launching from the Preserve’s dock. After sunset, participants will watch from the water as over 80,000 Mexican free-tail bats fly out from their roost site and into the night. All participants will be required to supply their own boat (canoe, kayak or SUP), paddle and life vest. (Cosumnes River Preserve Facebook) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,7y5m,e4f6,1bct,ijo3

September 17: Magical Mojave: A Full Moon Tour

Enjoy the Cadiz Dunes Wilderness Area after the sun goes down. The Dune Discovery Tour will take place under a full moon. Everything will start up at 4 in the afternoon, with a wrap time of 11 o'clock, with the Mojave Desert Land Trust on-hand to oversee the event. Prepare to get some background on "nighttime creatures and plants of the dunes ecosystem," meaning you may leave fully brushed up on your kit fox and bats-based info. (NBC Bay Area) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,4930,1gt7,1bct,ijo3

September 25: Volunteers Welcome at National Public Lands Day Event near Susanville

Volunteers are needed to help with trash cleanup and trail construction, when the Bureau of Land Management celebrates National Public Lands Day, Sunday, September 25, at project sites on Bald Mountain southeast of Susanville. Work teams will clean up debris in a popular shooting area near Byers Pass and begin work on the first phase of a Bald Mountain trail system that will eventually provide a network of routes for hikers, runners, horseback riders and mountain bikers. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,gs4q,72c1,1bct,ijo3

October 20-21: BLM Central California Advisory Council Plans Meeting in El Dorado Hills

A proposed campground fee increase for the Bishop Field Office will be considered when the Bureau of Land Management's Central California Resource Advisory Council meets October 20-21 in El Dorado Hills. A tour of tree mortality areas in the Mother Lode Field Office will be held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, October 20, followed by a business meeting from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Mother Lode Field Office, 5152 Hillsdale Circle, El Dorado Hills. Time for public comment is reserved from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. The RAC will reconvene beginning at 8 a.m. on Friday, October 21, until business is concluded, no later than noon. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,9u8q,hdoh,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER

True! Most bats eat flowers, small insects, fruits, nectar, pollen and leaves, though it depends on the type of bat. Megabats usually eat fruits, and microbats generally eat insects. The Malayan flying fox has a big appetite. It can eat half its body weight every day. The vampire bat outdoes even that, though, eating twice its weight in one day. The brown bat can eat up to 1,000 small insects in an hour. (LiveScience) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2mjb8,3xn3,409d,glxs,1bct,ijo3

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825