President Obama spoke at the 20th Anniversary of the Annual Lake Tahoe Summit about the importance of partnerships and innovation in tackling our shared climate and conservation challenges. The visit builds on other recent announcements, including the 100th anniversary of America’s National Park Service, last week’s designation of the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in north-central Maine, and the expansion of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument to create the world’s largest marine protected area off the coast of Hawaii. (White House Fact Sheet) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,532a,45oh,1bct,ijo3

Related: In Tahoe, Obama Underscores Climate Threats, Touts Conservation Funding (NPR, KQED Science) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,c38o,l5h1,1bct,ijo3

BLM: $30 million to reduce wildfires

Nevada Appeal, August 31, 2016
The Bureau of Land Management has awarded almost $30 million in wildfire prevention projects in the Lake Tahoe Basin, Carson Range, and Carson City. Janice Schneider, U.S. Department of the Interior Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management, approved the funding, which was generated through the sale of public lands around Las Vegas under authority of the Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act (SNPLMA), and awarded to BLM partners based on thorough project proposals. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,3wx1,dqik,1bct,ijo3

Related: BLM Announces $30 Million in Projects to Reduce Wildfires In Reno-Tahoe Area (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,eps5,h9xy,1bct,ijo3

Interior Department and State of California Announce Support for the Salton Sea

Following President Obama’s remarks at the Annual Lake Tahoe Summit on climate and conservation challenges, Deputy Secretary of the Interior Michael Connor and State of California Natural Resources Secretary John Laird signed a Memorandum of Understanding to strengthen coordination of management activities to benefit the Salton Sea, boost the region’s climate resilience, spur the region’s economic growth, and improve public health. (Department of Interior News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,ewvf,17v4,1bct,ijo3

Related: Obama at Lake Tahoe: White House pledges support for Salton Sea, geothermal energy (The Desert Sun) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,jr73,6nxx,1bct,ijo3

CONSERVATION

BLM Issues Guidance for Implementing Greater Sage-Grouse Plans

The Bureau of Land Management today moved forward on its collaborative effort to conserve Greater Sage-Grouse and its habitat by issuing Instruction Memorandums (IMs) that clarify how aspects of the BLM’s land use plans will be implemented. These seven IMs relate to oil and gas leasing and development, grazing, and the collection and use of land management data. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,d47y,etib,1bct,ijo3

US Takes Key Step to Implement Sage Grouse Conservation Plan

ABC News, September 1, 2016
Federal land managers issued guidelines Thursday for restricting energy development, livestock grazing and other activities on public land in the West to protect the greater sage grouse, part of a broad effort to save the bird without resorting to listing it as an endangered species. The Bureau of Land Managementguidelines tell field employees when and how to apply new rules under a sweeping conservation plan announced last year. That plan is designed to keep the distinctive ground-dwelling bird from being listed as endangered or threatened, which could bring down tougher restrictions and provoke a political backlash against the Endangered Species Act. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,k4ht,ihix,1bct,ijo3

Stewardship on the Desert Conservation Lands Retrospective: The Amargosa River Trail

One of the most outstanding pieces of public land in the entire Southwestern United States proposed to be protected as California Desert Conservation Lands in the Willow Creek/Amargosa Canyon corridor… We also need to give a shout-out to our BLM partners, who have worked with us every step of the way to ensure that the trail provides appropriate access to the canyon while safeguarding the precious natural and cultural resources that lie there. One unforgettable day, three BLM staffers and two AC staff did archaeological clearances when temperatures topped 110 degrees! BLM has been an integral part of this project from the beginning, and we are excited that they are now taking the next step, and permanently protecting this area. (Amargosa Conservancy website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,k9gz,7utw,1bct,ijo3

Related: Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan (DRECP website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,2lnd,eo9u,1bct,ijo3

HEADLINES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Keep Wildfire Safety in Mind this Labor Weekend

As you pack up the family for an outdoor adventure on public lands  this holiday weekend, the Bureau of Land Management Mother Lode Field Office would like to remind you to please help reduce the chance of starting a fire as you travel. A loose safety chain on a camp trailer or boat dragging on the pavement could send sparks into dry vegetation along the road. You can reduce the chances of igniting a wildfire by greasing your trailer wheels, checking tires and ensuring that safety chains are not touching the ground. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,bzy5,5w9h,1bct,ijo3

Related: One Less Spark, One Less Wildfire (California Wildland Fire Coordinating Group website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,g1jk,bzk2,1bct,ijo3

Visit the Three Humboldt Places That May Be Added to the California Coastal National Monument*

Lost Coast Outpost, August 31, 2016
Have you seen our coastline lately? Wow! But beauty isn’t everything – many sections of California’s shores also shine with historical, cultural, scientific, ecological and recreational significance. That’s why several of the state’s congressional leaders want to do a little something for these places through the California Coastal National Monument Expansion Act. With others, Senator Barbara Boxer introduced a bill in 2015 that will designate about 6,200 acres of existing U.S. Department of the Interior lands in Humboldt, Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo counties as part of the California Coastal National Monument. Of the several places under consideration, three are in Humboldt County: Trinidad Head, Lighthouse Ranch and the Lost Coast Headlands. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,gleo,9qxq,1bct,ijo3

Volunteer trailblazers help hikers explore Northern California

The Sacramento Bee, August 31, 2016
Five years ago, Napa resident Eric Barnett was strolling around the Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve near Winters when he started gazing with longing at the Blue Ridge up above… Barnett is one of about 100 Tuleyome volunteers who devote their sweat, blood and weekend time to hashing out new hiking trails throughout Northern California while maintaining existing trails that make nature accessible to all. This fall the organization is looking for new worker bees as it maps out the Berryessa Snow Mountain region, a 330,000-acre expanse that, with help from Tuleyome, recently was designated a national monument. Encompassing parts of the Cache Creek and Cedar Roughs wilderness areas, the now-protected region contains what the Bureau of Land Management describes as “some of the most scenic and biologically diverse landscapes in Northern California,” featuring “rolling, oak-studded hillsides to steep creek canyons and ridgelines with expansive views.” Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,jjvx,juvn,1bct,ijo3

Redding Area Trail Enthusiasts Get a Taste of History

Redding’s recreational trail network is gaining increasing popularity for offering routes suitable for every mountain biking ability and style, and for runners and hikers as well. Increasingly, thanks to the work of the Bureau of Land Management’s Redding Field Office, the trails are becoming a great location to learn about the Redding area’s history. (News.Bytes story) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,kvun,jbb6,1bct,ijo3

Shared Use Area reopens to public

Lucerne Valley Leader, August 30, 2016
The Marine Corps returned the Johnson Valley Shared Use Area to the Bureau of Land Management on August 20th – open for public use. The Combat Center is committed to maintaining positive relationships with our community and thanks community members for supporting its efforts in achieving current and progressive service-level training requirements. Read full story http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,90fd,595t,1bct,ijo3

Ormat to Conduct Geothermal Well Testing near Mammoth Lakes

The Bureau of Land Management Bishop Field Office, in coordination with the Inyo National Forest Mammoth Lakes Ranger District, has approved a proposal by Ormat Nevada Inc. to conduct a 30-day flow and injection test of two existing geothermal wells near the town of Mammoth Lakes. The flow and injection test is scheduled to begin shortly after Labor Day (Sept. 5) and end in early October. During the test, geothermal fluid from well 14-25 will flow through a temporary 8-inch pipeline laid above ground and be injected into well 12-25. Well 14-25 is located approximately one-quarter mile northwest of Shady Rest Park and well 12-25 is located approximately 1,100 feet north of well 14-25. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,4vmu,jtnd,1bct,ijo3

BLM AND DOI HIGHLIGHTS

Welcome to #mypubliclandsroadtrip 2016, Week 12

The virtual summer roadtrip continues this week with Something Different – some of the most unique locations managed by the BLM, from movie sets to geologic wonders to speedways. Our Something Different posts begin in a desert forest of giants. Taking its name from one of the longest living trees in the Arizona desert, the 129,000-acre Ironwood Forest National Monument is a true Sonoran Desert showcase. (My Public Lands Tumblr) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,eusw,k9yt,1bct,ijo3

Related: New story books that recap roadtrip stops (Steller) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,lmpg,haq8,1bct,ijo3

Related: Extreme Public Lands (Esri storymap journal) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,fgop,be7x,1bct,ijo3

BLM Takes Important Step Toward Online Oil and Gas Lease Sales

The Bureau of Land Management announced that it is implementing authority provided by Congress giving the agency the flexibility to conduct online lease sales. The move is a continuation of the BLM’s ongoing efforts to modernize the oil and gas program by increasing program efficiency and generating savings for taxpayers. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,3e1a,k9wj,1bct,ijo3

Video: This Week at Interior August 26, 2016

Secretary Sally Jewell takes us coast to coast for this special National Park Service Centennial edition of This Week at Interior. (Department of Interior YouTube) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,juas,j5nk,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Which of the following are true about sage-grouse?

a) Largest native grouse species in North America.
b) Love to dance.
c) Habitat is sagebrush dependent.
d) Uses communal mating grounds called leks.
e) Sage-grouse are prey animals.
f) All of the above.
Keep reading for answer below.

UPCOMING EVENTS

August 30 - September 2: Long Valley Road Closure

Wild Willy's Hot Springs Road in Long Valley will be closed at times in August and early September to allow for road resurfacing. The road will be closed Tuesday, August 30 through Friday, September 2 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. For more information, call the Bureau of Land Management's Bishop Field Office at (760) 872-5000.(BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,ezd4,lf69,1bct,ijo3

September 3 and 17: Night Adventures in the Monument

Friends of the Desert Mountains is hosting night adventures in the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument. (Friends of the Desert Mountains website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,5d8b,8r5i,1bct,ijo3

September 14, 28 and October 5: Community Conversations on Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument

The U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management are in the early stages of developing a management plan for the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument (BSMNM) and invite the public to participate in Community Conversations about the monument. The conversations are an opportunity for the public to express what they value in the management of the BSMNM. (BLM News Release) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,5phy,kv6m,1bct,ijo3

September 17: Magical Mojave: A Full Moon Tour

Enjoy the Cadiz Dunes Wilderness Area after the sun goes down. The Dune Discovery Tour will take place under a full moon. Everything will start up at 4 in the afternoon, with a wrap time of 11 o'clock, with the Mojave Desert Land Trust on-hand to oversee the event. Prepare to get some background on "nighttime creatures and plants of the dunes ecosystem," meaning you may leave fully brushed up on your kit fox and bats-based info. (NBC Bay Area) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,32k8,4nge,1bct,ijo3

WILDLIFE QUESTION OF THE WEEK ANSWER

Which of the following are true about sage-grouse?
f) All of the above.

California represents the westernmost extension of the greater sage-grouse’s range. California is also home to a portion of the Bi-State Distinct Population Segment of greater sage-grouse, which has been separated from the larger greater sage-grouse population for thousands of years. In April, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) withdrew the Bi-State DPS from the Candidate Species list after a multi-partner collaborative effort addressed the main threats to the population along the Nevada border. After evaluating the best available scientific and commercial information regarding the greater sage-grouse, the USFWS determined that protection for the greater sage-grouse under the Endangered Species Act is no longer warranted and is withdrawing the species from the candidate species list. (USFWS website) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,c7oy,2iti,1bct,ijo3

Related: Top 5 Things You Should Know About the Sage Grouse (Department of Interior blog) http://www.elabs10.com/ct.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=x8pbwi,2me52,3xn3,5z3c,fiwj,1bct,ijo3

News.Bytes is a publication of the Bureau of Land Management California.

Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W1623
Sacramento, Ca 95825