Re: nvda2 speech and debian install error

Hello Elias,
nvda2speechd author here. Regarding the compilation error you got
earlier, I believe this is caused by the speech-dispatcher dependency in
the server's Cargo.toml, which seems to be still at 0.15.1 (while the
latest version is 0.16.0).
If you bump up the number and delete the Cargo.lock file, it should
compile just fine. It's a bit unfortunate situation, in my opinion, Rust
should have a from-scratch implemented crate for communication with
speech dispatcher, instead of relying on libspeechd-dev and causing
issues like these. I even wanted to write such a library, similar to the
lib I wrote for C#, but I was not yet in such a heavy need to do so,
thus we have what we have. :)

As for n2s usage, the server is a standard TUI app, it's pretty much
upto you how do you use it. You can run it temporarily in a terminal,
for example if you want to play a game, or, if your usage will be more
frequent, you can have it autostart upon your system boot up and then
there will be no need to do anything. The server has no output unless
something happens I believe, so if you start it up and it seemingly does
nothing, it likely works properly.
I think it prints out when a connection from clients is open/close, this
is a good functionality because when something goes wrong, you can
easily diagnose whether the clients and the server found each other and
it also works as a good confirmation the client was started in the first
place.

n2s has a default port that will be used, which is mentioned in the
readme. If the default port doesn't work for you for some reason, you
can change it by setting up an environment variable, see the readme
(don't forget to log out and back in after doing so to have it initialized).

The reason why a variable is used instead of a flag or config file is
the need to communicate the settings to the clients, which can't accept
flags because they're just libraries (well technically, maybe they
could, now I'm not sure if dlls have access to the arguments of their
process, but even if they did, messing in flags and cmd parameters to
the interface of another apps would cause trouble in more situations
than those where it would have actually worked), and config files are
also tricky because one thing is your Linux FS and another the Wine
space, you may want to sandbox Wine apps, etc. so it's overall the
easiest option to just maintain an environment variable when necessary.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 3. 5. 2024 o 15:08 'Elias Ståhlberg' via blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
napísal(a):