Re: Keeping Orca Talking

Speech synthesis was in use in 1964 but you would have had to be flying a
fighter plane to hear it.  Pilots needed the speech sounding inhuman so
they could tell it apart from their radio and intercom traffic.
Electronics is more of an open field these days than it was earlier since
colorimeters are available on the iphone and inexpensive at  that.  Also
soldering is no problem if done correctly.  Wrapping solder around a joint
when cold then placing the loop on the joint and then applying power for a
few seconds gets the joint soldered with no burnt fingers.  I think solder
starts smelling when it melts so clear sinuses can be helpful.  This is a
summary of an article in New Beacon Magazine written in the 1970's by
blind hams who were responsible for running the radio network in the chain
home network England used to defeat the Germans during World War II.
Those hams were responsible for use of radios and repair of radios so had
to know how to solder after a bomb may have damaged some radio equipment.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.