Re: Keeping Orca Talking

It's amazing how quickly one can go from hero to zero in

this game

I guess that’s what FS snapshots are for. <grin> Anything goes wrong? you just roll-back to the last working state and everything is intact.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 26. 2. 2024 o 19:52 Martin McCormick napísal(a):

I am really good at getting in my own way when it comes to
keeping orca speaking.

The system running orca is a HP Pavillion desktop which
is about 2 years old, running debian bullseye and it sure cooks
right along very nicely except for sound where it's just one
thing after another.

With this version of debian, I installed it from a debian
iso image placed on a usb thumb drive and it talks if you type
the lower-case s as soon as you hear the beep from the piezo
buzzer on the mother board.

I wanted to adjust some sound levels yesterday so I fired
up alsamixer which I am not familiar with.  Alsamixer is not a
GUI application as such as uses a curses-based terminal interface
and can be accessed via command-line terminal.

I logged in to mate's terminal and commanded alsamixer to
start using card 0 or -c 0.

I am not sure what I did but about 2 or 3 key strokes in
to the session, I typed the Enter key and, poof! voice output was
gone.

I finally logged in to that system from another Linux box
in text-based command-line mode, downloaded a backup of /var and
selected var/lib/alsa/asound.state which had that file in it.

After copying /var/lib/alsa/asound.state from the backup,
I did

sudo alsactl store which seems to have stored this older version
of asound.state then I rebooted.

I was able to log in as the login still talked but as
soon as I entered the password, everything went silent again.

I finally got on the Linux box that has no GUI and ssh'd
into the gnome system and then called alsamixer as me and that's
when I realized more how this all works.

One is supposed to press F3 to be in the playback setup
mode.  Apparently the function keys like F3 send a terminal code
sequence that is interpreted as F3 and then I noticed that the
volume slider for Master volume was all the way down to 0.

The Up and Down arrows move that slider so I moved it up
and finally my orca console started speaking again.

One then presses Escape once and alsamixer closes.

Is there a faster and better way I could have done this?

If I hadn't had a second Linux system, I'd still be
messing with it and the curses would be more than just in the
command-line interface.

It's amazing how quickly one can go from hero to zero in
this game but finally I seem to have the talking orca terminal
back.

Martin