Re: archival social media for the blind?

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024, 'Artur Rutkowski' via blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Little off topic, but answering the pandoc's problem:
> pandoc --from docx --to plain file.docx
>
> Yes Karen. Search, search and search again. Then ask anything.

Hi Karen,

Probably your provider has man pages installed,
which are the original accessible documentation.

In this case `man pandoc` executed on your linux host
followed by /docx will bring you to the correct line,
in this case, already in the second sentence of the
DESCRIPTION section.

For me it's a matter of pride, and also respect for other
people with expertise whose time I value, to at least read the
docs of the programs I'm having trouble with before
asking for help.

Everyone misses something obvious at times, so I'm stating
this as a general principle.

Even if you don't have the man pages, `pandoc -h` returns
useful information, including the promising option
--list-input-formats.

`pandoc --list-input-formats` generates a rather long list
so in this instance I might filter the results by piping
the output through grep: `pandoc --list-input-formats | grep docx` .
This returns 'docx', and we have our answer. Filtering with
grep is usually easier than scrolling through many lines
or pages of output.

Have a beautiful (night or) day!

--
Joel Roth