Re: Intro.

Hi,

answer in line.

Foreword: I hesitated to answer: as I already wrote Slint is not an option for
ARM CPUs. Anyway, here goes for x86_64 aka AMD64 users...

Le 06/10/2023 à 11:44, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> When you boot it, it will put you in a desktop much like Windows or Mac so if
> you are coming from those devices it won't feel too out of place. Slint is not
> beginner friendly due to the way you install it, which is by if you rememver the
> days of DOS, typing in commands and having to remember or have a second device
> handy to go through the install steps.

To be picky, the Slint installer doesn't request you to type commands, only to
answer questions, typing things like "Y" for yes and "N" for no or a number to
select an option. And oftentimes if you do not know what to answer typing "h"
will display a small contextualized help text. Further, during installation you
can you can also type 'doc' at the prompt in a console and read a documentation,
then go back to installation

> Linux Mint avoids this by having the installer be similar to Windows, where it
> asks you to fill in what it wants then click next, and it will walk you through
> the process, without overwhelming you with text. To me this is a nice, gentle
> start to Linux.
>
> The beautiful thing about Linux Mint is you can easily fire up a web browser and
> Google your queries and usually get a page or two of helpful results, versus
> with Slint, relying on having to manually check a specific email list. In a
> nutshell, Mint Mate is built to be easy to use and simple to keep up to date.

With Slint you can also get information before installing just firing up this
page in a web browser:
https://slint.fr/en/HandBook.html

> I'm hoping this helps, I absolutely get how daunting moving to Linux can be,
> especially if you are older like you said you are.

I am probably older than Billy (74 at time of writing) and use Slint every day ;)

All this being said if the intended usage is just browsing the Internet,
communicate with family and friends and so on, any accessible distribution is
good enough. But then why try a Linux distribution, but because the fact that it
is free as in free beer?

Didier