Talking Images for 64-bit Laptop

I have a HP Pavilion lap top system which my wife was using to
run Windows 11 and it is presently failing to boot but
fortunately for this list, that is not what I am really here to
post about.

	What I think I need is a bootable version of linux which
is similar in behavior to the many Raspberry Pi images available
that can fit on a SSD card.  Usually, they are compressed and
will fill the SSD card one has written the image to so they are
not your standard iso live CD's but one uses it as a
self-contained Linux system.  What I want to do is keep Windows
11 on the SSD but get the laptop capable of booting off of a
bootable usb drive if it is present.  If not, it goes ahead and
boots Windows.

	This will probably require changing the BIOS settings to
turn off secureboot and have usb be the first boot candidate
tried.

	Right now, for this discussion, I am asking if there is
such an image for a 64-bit system.  If it talks, that's the icing
on the cake but if not, I still might be able to use it via ssh
from a system that does talk.

	I want to use this instance of Linux to try to fix the
problem the dead box is having but also use Linux to backup the
box since Windows does not have a native backup program.  This
also gives me yet another portable Linux box as if I needed one.

	As far as this list is concerned, is there something like
this out there and does it talk?

	Another reason why I have not simply tried to use a
debian installation image is frankly because there is a slight
chance of accidentally installing it on the SSD where Windows 11
currently lives so I want to avoid that if possible.

	The idea is to do no more harm than has already been
done.  From what I read based on the error screen, the problem is
fixable but if I write to the wrong device, that pretty well
blows things up so I am playing it safe if possible.

	One person mentioned grml with clonzilla which sounds
like a good thing but at this stage, I am open to any suggestion.
Don't forget that it's a laptop so one can't just pop drives and
memory cards in and out like one should be able to do in a
desktop system so I am trying to avoid doing that unless the SSD
proves to be bad.

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick