Re: v p n and linux

> I guess the IP that is being used to create the account would qualify as such! :)

Not necessarily. You can create the account using Tor, the service even provides an onion site, so the traffic is end to end encrypted and you don’t risk revealing anything.

> Not in anycase from the VPN provider, as traffic is decripted at the VPN provider! :) Being able to read the traffic is not the same as knowing who sent it, unles it would be linked to something you at the same time use through a standard connection. What would sort of beat the point of using any anonymization techniques. :)

And things aren’ŧ so simple with reading the traffic either, everything uses SSL connections these days, so while the provider does have some clues about wat websites does an unknown existence use, the transmitted information are still protected.

> How so, opensource does not mean security, it simply means that you can review the code! :) Indeed, that’s right. But the more popular a service is, the more people are likely to check out the source code.
> AirVPN is certainly not the biggest VPN around, but it’s not quite unknown, either.
> It’s fully transparent about everything it does, meaning it would be just a matter of time to reveal any sneaky practices.

As for security in the sense of vulnerabilities, this is a thing with every single technology.
You can check out the range of activities AirVPN handles, the people behind them and determine their competence.
They’re not hiding anything.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 1. 7. 2023 o 13:56 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):