Re: Good minimal distro today?

Hi,

answer in line about Void and Slint

>I've also read about
> VoidLinux. Has anyone tried it yet?

I know at least one happy Void user, Chris Brannon: He is blind but that does
not imply that it is easy to install and configure Void. To contact Chris check
http://the-brannons.com/

> I know about Slint as well, but the manual
> states that it requires 50 gb disk space at least, and I'm currently out of disk
> space, around 15 gb at most.

Actually a Slint system installed in "auto partitioning" mode weighs around 10G
just after installation, but you need space for users data and a btrfs file
system should have a few G of not allocated space, so yes 15 is not enough.

I consider providing a "minimum" installation but we are not there, yet, my
priority is to provide a live ISO.

But you can install Slint on a 64G USB stick: in "auto" mode if the stick is
plugged in when you type "start" to start the installation the installer will
propose you to install on any drive of size at least 50, fixed or removable,
thus including USB sticks and SD cards. The installation will take longer (up to
40 minutes) but the installed system will be reasonably responsive.

Cheers,
Didier
--
Didier Spaier