Re: Good minimal distro today?

Well, running on a 386 is pretty hardcore, but most Linux packages
built for 32-bit systems have their architecture listed as i386
implying at least binary compatibility with the earliest 32-bit x86
processors... and the Linux kernel itself has 686 builds distinct from
the i386 builds, further implying the i386 kernels have support for
the oldest 32-bit processors.

Probably not even worth trying to run a Linux DE on such an old
machine, but a purely CLI setup might work... Though, does the old
machine even have a CD-ROM drive or USB ports to support modern
install media? Even if you could get it on to floppies, a Debian
netinst would require several stacks tall as a person and if the old
machine also lacked ethernet... well, it's hard to imagine than many
floppy disks in one place.