Firefox in ubuntu 22.04

I am running ubuntu 22.04 with the mate desktop (using a startx file as I don't normatlly use a gui desktop so only want it up when I need it). If I try to run firefox from the menu I get no response and no firefox. If I try to run it from a terminal I get the following error:
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-22.scope is not a snap cgroup

The session number may vary.

Any one know how to get firefox working in this setup?

Thnks
Tom