Re: mailing list privacy, etc.

If we get spam, which I mean that happens regardless, from
online account leaks of your email address, to going on dubious sites and
submitting your email because you got a text saying you won $500, spam is
gonna happen. If your mail provider, or mail server, or email client, can't
deal with spam, usually by you marking an email from a sender as spam and
the program automatically marking further messages from that sender as spam
too, then that's a problem with your setup, not the list.

You were not here when this happened, so you are not understanding the problem that occurred. Every time anyone would post a message to this list, that person would get inundated with hundreds of pornographic spam messages, not all from the same sender, and even the major email providers like Gmail and Yahoo couldn't keep up. Hundreds would come in to one individual's mailbox, and 30 or more would survive all the spam filtering thrown at them. I wouldn't say that the problem was with the list itself, or even with its administration, but I do know that it wasn't bad spam filters that were to blame. Yes, spam will happen no matter what. It's just part of email. But this was truly out of control and something had to be done quickly to fix it. I'm not necessarily arguing that this measure still needs to be taken in this way even now, but it was the best solution at the time.

~Kyle