Re: Has anyone gotten i3 accessible yet? or is there a better option besides ratpoison, which is great, btw

Hi,

just a few inline comments below

Le 09/02/2022 à 20:45, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :

> I, for example, currently have the Rainbowstream Twitter client open in TTY1,
> mpv playing an internet station in TTY2 and this alpine in TTY3. I still have
> quite a few TTYs available for use, should I need them.

You can  have more than 6 tty if you want. Just edit as root /etc/inittab and
after these lines:

c4:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

append similar ones replacing tty6 with tty7, tty8, tty9, etc.
Be careful, a small syntax error in this file can prevent Slint to start <smile>

also you can type startx from any tty, currently this will use tty<n+6>
For instance if you type startx fom tty2 the X session will go in tty8.

You can even start several graphical sessions this way. That the minimalist in
you will probably will not like...

> This is where a WM such as ratpoison would make your life easier, if, for
> example, you don't want to use the CLI based mpv media player, you could use VLC
> in an XSession, or Thunderbird for email in stead of alpine.

You probably know that, but you can as well use mpv as well as vlc in an xsession

Cheers,
Didier
--
Didier Spaier