Re: Converting text to mp3

Decktalk hardware is analog. software Speech is not.

Incorrect. DECTalk hardware takes text, converts it to digital speech signals via software programmed into a chip soldered onto the printed circuit board, and that digital speech is translated into the analog sound you hear using another chip on the same board. This is exactly like what your sound card does. The second-stage chip is called a DAC, or digital to analog converter. In the case of your hardware speech synthesizer, the analog wave form is derived from an 8KHz, or possibly 11.025KHZ, mono digital signal and is piped out through a small speaker connected to the output of the DAC. This is a rather simplified explanation of the process, but it will suffice here.

recently I was helping someone try to find a dectalk USB, and one of my associates builds a sort of USB box that uses the most current dectalk software speech in modules form. what they told me was that the dettalk 5, which is this software edition sounds nothing like hardware dectalk, and is quite difficult to understand.

Right. It's 4.6 that sounds exactly like the hardware and produces .wav files. I've heard 5 once or twice, and they really messed it up bad. This says nothing of the quality of software speech, but rather speaks to either the incompetence of the developers the company allowed to touch their code or the incompetence of the company itself, who felt like if they just made it different, it would somehow be better.

If no one bothers to write graphical options for hardware speech, not because it cannot be done, but because they choose the free stuff instead, that says allot about Linux creativity speaking personally.

No, it says nothing of Linux creativity and everything of the prohibitive cost of the hardware. It makes no sense at all for a complete computer on a single board to cost $35, but for a speech synthesizer to cost $500 or more, especially since it has less hardware in it than an mp3 player, and that hardware is far older as well. This is probably why most of us don't even bother with dedicated hardware speech synthesizers, especially since more can be done in software on the more powerful hardware that costs far less. Time is better spent developing for general-purpose hardware and innovating on the software side than the money that can be made in other ways that would make it possible to purchase the antiquated hardware that costs too much. This may also explain why few if any dedicated hardware speech synthesizers are even made now.

And all of this says absolutely nothing that will help the thread starter with his original question, how to convert text via software to an mp3 file. I answered that question to the best of my ability based on what I found, although I don't know what is causing some people to see errors instead of hearing speech. The solution to that problem is still escaping me unfortunately.

~Kyle