Re: Converting text to mp3

DECTalk hardware is by definition text-to speech technology, as it takes marked up text, but can also take text without any markup, and it converts it to audible speech. It in fact does exactly what a software speech synthesizer does, but it does it over a cable instead of via a virtual cable, pipe or library of functions. In fact, DECTalk once was a software speech synthesizer that sounded almost exactly like the hardware, as it was most likely the same software internal code of the hardware adapted to be able to use the hardware found in a PC. In fact, if you can still find this old DECTalk software, as I recall, it was able to take your text and create .wav files in much the same way that newer software speech synthesizers can do now. I know that people were making it sing, not by recording their hardware, but by making and mixing .wav files produced by the software. And any .wav file can be converted to mp3 using lame, which is one possible answer to the thread starter's question.

~Kyle