Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent from the Fedora machine, using Thunderbird

On 2021/11/29 23:37, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
Hi,

Interesting.  I have a fresh install of Fedora mate and my install went
without a hitch, but after doing an update to my system, I had speech at
login, but not at the desktop.  On another machine with Fedora work-station,
speech works fine.  I am wondering if pipewirer is the problem.

Matthew

-----Original Message-----
From: blinux-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx <blinux-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx> On
Behalf Of Linux for blind general discussion
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 6:45 AM
To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; Linux for
blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Pipewire and Orca and audio

So I'm convinced now Pipewire is doing something funky on
qemu/Virtualbox. I've spun up a quick and dirty Arch system running Mate
via startx. Pulse works fine but the moment I redo the install with
Pipewire, Orca keels over.

So is there anything special I need to do in order to get Pipewire to
play nice? I did sudo pacman -S pipewire pipewire-pulse wireplumber and
am trying to go with a Pipewire and Wireplumber setup. All other audio,
like YT vids, works fine, Orca just comes out as a garbled mess, so it
looks at least to me like Pulse works better on my system.

Anyone else run into this with Arch or other distros using Pipewire and
fiure out a solution? There's not much online really about it, just
articles on oh it's a bug, or oh replace Pulse with Pipewire