Re: Ebrowse?

Wow! Edbrowse! Being blind myself, I quickly gave up on that one. I know it's supposed to do some Javascript stuff, and had I been able to get used to the totally different way of trying to get a website to give up its secrets to it, I may have been able to get it to help me pay my bills online before Firefox became accessible using Orca, and what was it ... that ... Freedombox or similar thing that had its own speech and browser and stuff before that. But although I could get used to Lynx and even elinks, and had even better luck with w3m, being able to actually read a page like a text editor with my arrow keys, Edbrowse remained a total mystery, perhaps because the commands were similar to ed, which I also never got working to my satisfaction, preferring the likes of Joe and Nano, even though they had some odd keybindings, and I only recently figured out how to select text to be cut or copied. Actually, probably the best thing for text-based browsing would be to somehow integrate the Javascript supported by edbrowse into w3m, and then update w3m to support the most audibly useful parts of the HTML5 standard. Add to this the ability to navigate by headings, controls and other nice things like we have in Firefox and clunky but true of Chromium as well, and this killer combo could certainly give any graphical browser a run for its money, especially since it would be much much faster, especially on slower or older hardware. Consider this a call for coders, as I for one would actually be interested in such a thing, as long as it accessibly supports any of the latest technologies that make sense to people who are blind or visually impared who want to use text mode effectively for any website. Either that, or we could actually start with w3m, assuming it is still actively developed, and if not, it can be forked. I actually think w3m may be the best place to start.
Imetumwa kutoka jengo