Re: Welcome to Linux by Microsoft

Portable C I believe means that the code can be compiled on various platforms. The binary produced on a Linux system will not be compatible with Windows, and the binary .exe file produced on a Windows system will not run on Linux. Yes, the code can be compiled on many different operating systems on a lot of different hardware, but the binary code generated by the compiler is native to the operating system and hardware where it was compiled. If it was compiled on armv7h, something like a Raspberry Pi 2, it can be made to run on aarch64, something like a Raspberry Pi 3, but it won't run even on Linux on an x86_64 computer, most computers purchased off-the-shelf from a local store, usually running Windows by default. That compiled code most certainly can't run on Windows, even on the same x86_64 (64-bit Intel or AMD) hardware, because the kernel, the device drivers and the system library API's are very different. If you're interested in building a speech synthesizer on Windows that can run on Linux, or building a speech synthesizer on Linux that can run on Windows, have a look at MaryTTS, which is written in Java, which has mostly portable bytecode, though I will warn you, Java can be painfully slow even on really fast hardware.

Regarding building your speech synthesizer on Vinux, if you intend to run in on Linux, this is certainly a fairly good way to build it, though I don't recommend running Linux virtual machines on a Windows host for security and stability reasons. I would instead recommend running a Windows virtual machine, if you must have one, on a Linux host, because the host machine will be far more secure and stable, and if you distabilize Windows, or it picks up malware, that will only affect a single virtual machine, which you can periodically snapshot and roll back as needed, or even destroy and reinstall often if necessary. All this said, if you are trying to build a speech synthesizer that you intend to run on Windows, you will make your life far easier just building and testing with standard Windows development tools. Building on any one OS for use on another OS, or building on one type of hardware for use on another type of hardware, even if both are running the same general operating system, will only cause further complications.
Imetumwa kutoka mfumo wangu