Re: an old artic transport

Tony Baechler here.

No thanks are necessary. I have a slight hearing loss and I don't like software speech, especially ESpeak in particular. I'm so glad I have a DECtalk Express, a Litetalk and a Trippletalk. I wouldn't give up hardware speech for the world. As much as I appreciate the thanks, the real credit goes to Samuel and the Speakup list. It has been a long road and the journey isn't done yet, but it looks like serial support might again work with Speakup in the latest kernels. It's just a matter of the patches being accepted upstream and entering staging. I can't take any credit for their work. I'm most definitely not a programmer. All I do is apply their patches to the kernel source and compile. I ran kernel 2.6.32 for years just for working hardware speech.

Regarding the GUI, I have bad news. I don't know of a way to use any hardware speech. A module for Speech Dispatcher would have to be written, but I don't think anyone has done any work in that area. I keep hoping someone will as the main reason why I don't switch to Linux and Orca full time is due to the lack of hardware speech. In my case, it doesn't matter how good software speech is due to my high frequency hearing loss. Nothing compares to having real hardware speech. If you ever find a way to get hardware speech to work in the GUI, I would be thrilled.