Re: an old artic transport

Speechd-up is for software speech using speech-dispatcher. Speech-dispatcher currently has no code for a hardware speech synthesizer. Your best bet is to try to find the correct Speakup driver for your Transport and modprobe it. I'm not familiar with the hardware synthesizer modules in Speakup, as I only ever used ltlk I think it was and dtk, also a guess, since it's been so long. I thought there was a module called txp or txprt or something for the Transport, but I can't remember if that's right, or if it had another name. To use it by default, you would put its name on a single line in /etc/modules-load.d/anynameatall.conf. I would suggest speakup.conf as the filename can be anything with a .conf extension, but that helps finding it later. This will load the correct module at boot time.
~Kyle