Re: Sonar GNU/Linux merges with Vinux

Tony Baechler here.

You make my point, exactly! All of the BSDs, Windows, and who knows what else ship Gnome. Orca is part of Gnome. Therefore, they all ship Orca if they ship a complete Gnome environment. That doesn't mean they care about accessibility. That means they ship Orca because it's part of Gnome. Case in point. KDE has a package called KAccessibility. I assume it ships with all distros which ship KDE. KDE isn't accessible. KDE doesn't support Orca. Orca doesn't support KDE since KDE doesn't have an a11y framework like Gnome and MATE. Just because a vendor ships a product with accessibility components doesn't mean: A. they care about accessibility and B. they make any effort to make their products accessible. OpenSolaris ships a screen reader too. Has anyone tried it? Is it accessible? I honestly don't know.

Regarding your comment that no distros and no main developers care about accessibility, I flatly disagree. I've seen many posts to debian-boot and debian-devel from DDs wanting to make sure packages are accessible. There was a discussion about Java. Lots of work has gone into Debian-Installer. They have made accessibility truly part of their design process. Slackware was the first to ship a special Speakup kernel on their standard install media. Ubuntu has made great strides, but I don't think they're at the same level as Debian. I did see a post asking for people to join the accessibility team and test for problems, file bugs, write docs, etc. There is so much to do that I don't think a dozen nonprofits could do it all.