linux-compatible sound cards

When any of our list members have made a choice to install a linux-compatible sound card on a computer either ordered or being built for them what card or cards were the cards you found to be the best as compared to past experiences with sound cards? The computer I'll be buying will have no onboard sound card on it (I have an Intel onboard sound card and that was a mistake) and want to get comething better next time. I'm figuring to install this on an amd motherboard if that helps any. I can do without Intel whenever and whereever possible.

I'll have to sacrifice lots of money and pay for Intel when the old Mac desktop is replaced but this computer will not be built by Apple so I have better choices this time.

If Linux ever gets fully compatible with the iPhone and iTunes then there'll be no reason to replace that Mac desktop.