bash operation question

When using tab completion in bash, sometimes more than a single possibility arises if there are say two or more paths starting out with the same prefix. If I hit escape twice when this happens, I get a list of those possible choices displayed. To select from one of those choces, do I need to key in the whole choice from the beginning of the path or can I key in enough letters to uniquely identify my choice after that list displays? I tried search inside man bash for list completion and did not find this material though a long time ago I was looking for something else and stumbled on this material in that man page.