simple home monitoring?

Hi folks,
I am wondering if there might be a very simple Linux solution for this?
I live in an apartment building. I am not concerned about entry when I am in the space. the locks I use make that rather impossible. However I am interested in a way to monitor if anyone comes into the apartment when I am out and cannot use the second inner lock. There are people on staff who have keys, of course they are not supposed to come in when I am gone, but oh well lol. Would be nice is a simple system that I can dedicate a machine for, meaning a basic setup, with few resources required.
perhaps software that would email me an alert  or monitoring results.
ideas?
thanks.
Karen