Re: Netbook Oriented Linux Distributions Accessibility

Gnome Shell is not a Linux distribution. It's a graphical desktop or a graphical user interface running on the Linux kernel. It's what you use to launch and manage and jump between your graphical applications. As almost always, you can find out more with a web search, such as the wikipedia article for Gnome Shell at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Shell

Different distributions tend to select a graphical desktop. For example, Ubuntu uses Unity, Gubuntu uses Gnome Shell, Kubuntu uses KDE and so on. You can uninstall the desktop that comes with your distribution and install another one, but I've always just gone with the desktop that comes with the distribution I've selected, or the reverse. For example, I've just used Unity when running Ubuntu or Gnome Shell when running Fedora.