Re: some bees nest stirring, was just how much can you do with?

OK, a couple of quick thoughts, based on my own experience. Yes, you can run Lynx, etc from DOS. However, it's much, much slower and requires messin around with packet drivers and dial-up networking. Linux has that built-in automatically and almost always just works. I never got Lynx to run in plain DOS because I couldn't find a packet driver and TCP/IP software for my network card, which is one of the big reasons why I switched to Windows 98 and the command prompt. The second issue is that, due to DOS memory limitations, the ports will have a lot less features unless they use djgpp and a DOS extender to get around the 640 KB limit. That's called protected mode and again, Linux doesn't have that limitation. Finally, Lynx at least used direct screen writes, so Vocal-Eyes didn't automatically read the screen without a set file. In Linux and Cygwin, it was able to read fine on its own because it used BIOS writes. Lynx in Linux is literally at least twice as fast as DOS as I'm sure you've seen from Shellworld.