Re: how to set up a Linux box

Answer #1. No. Ubuntu, at least older versions (see previous post in this thread for details), does support installation with brtty.�

Answer #2. My suggestion is to give Ubuntu a shot. If you run into barriers or you find things that you just don't like, try Vinux (yes, it's an off-shoot of Ubuntu). Vinux is designed�specifically�to address the needs and�concerns�of the visually�impaired which are not sufficiently met with the basic Ubuntu installation. The major difference, and why I suggest trying Ubuntu first, is that Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) will keep thing up-to-date a bit faster than the people Vinux project (http://vinux.org.uk/people.html). THis is no way meant as a slight against the Vinux project or it's people. It's just simple fact; Canonical releases updates before Vinux. There is also a much larger community with Ubuntu. Though much of the generic Ubuntu-ish questions that you might have with Vinux should still be handled quite well in the Ubuntu forums. Ultimately the choice is going to be based on what *you* like the most in *your* operating system.

Karl Wilbur
513-322-2481
karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx