Re: New member

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ has some useful material on it and links to other useful material too. You could also try http://slackbook.org/ and learn a bit on that site too. You would do even better if you were to hook up with a local linux users group; they would be able to show you how to install your first Linux version and provide support for afterwards. If you are interested in the Linux with the most packages that's accessible (a good choice for someone new to Linux) you want debian. Packages in this case means the most ready to use software out of the box. If you do select debian, and you have an ethernet connection not a modem connected to the telephone lines you probably want the netinst iso image and you'll need to burn that iso image onto a CD or DVD. If you can get that installed, you want to install the debian-reference package (english version) and start reading with a web browser at /usr/share/local/doc/debian-reference/index.html and you'll also learn much. On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Graham Lewis [gjl] wrote:

Hi.  I am new to linux and wonder what the best way is to go about getting a linuc system p and running.  A quick surf about the web unearthed more information than I can cope with about useful applications but no starters guide.  Most seem to assume a fair bit of knowledge about linux.  Which flavour of linux should I go for and is there a user group that would guide me over the initial problems?

I should say that I have some limited vision left so could manage to install using a decent screen magnifier.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards
Graham Lewis

Cydgysylltydd
Y Ganolfan Datblygu Staff ac Ymarfer Academaidd
Prifysgol Aberystwyth
Adeilad Cledwyn
Campws Penglais
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
SY23 3DD

Ff?n: 01970 621802
Symudol: 07703100401
Ffacs: 01970 622982
E-bost: gjl@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:gjl@xxxxxxxxxx>
www.aber.ac.uk/staffdevelopment<http://www.aber.ac.uk/staffdevelopment>

Co-ordinator
The Centre for the Development of Staff and
Academic Practice
Aberystwyth University
Cledwyn Building (Room G18)
Penglais Campus