internal vs. external synthisizers?

Hi all,
Well I believe I am going to end up trying debian, largely because I understand Fedora may no longer support my hardware synthesizer. Granted not everyone loves dec, but I have both an internal card <yes and a machine that will hold it,> and a dec-express. I know the Kernel has changed lately, that there has been some effort to make speakup work well with this latest debian package. What I do need to know at this point though is if there is an advantage to using internal verses external where the hardware synthesizers are concerned?
both equally supported?
Thanks,
Karen