systematic backups in Linux?

Hi folks,
Wondering about this in theory?
I would guess I would require a dsl connection, something I presently do not have, but wanted to ask this anyway. I have a major quantity of files in my shellworld workspace. Last weekend, I noticed that almost every file with a certain extension, .mp3, had disappeared. Given I am both a singer and a radio producer with many files of critical importance in this format I was not happy. to his credit, the files were restored, and what was missing is likely in themail folders I keep to insure I am covered. to his detriment, no explanation was offered as to how this happened. So, I realize the time is coming for me to set up an alternative backup of my own. Having this Linux box built has been slower than planned, I do not even have access to a cd burner yet. However I am wondering if there is a Linux utility that will let me make scheduled backups from my shellworld space to my Linux machine via ftp? If so, in which distribution?
Thanks, and if my question is not clear enough let me know.
Karen