Re: Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Hi,

Thanks for filing the bug against Timidity. It looks good. Debian doesn't have the Fluid soundfont yet. Also, I looked at the url in the "copyright" file that ships with Fluid and saw that there is a release 3.1 which seems newer than the Ubuntu package. I installed it but couldn't hear an obvious difference.

I'm having a problem with Timidity and drums. I can hear that there are drums but they're very quiet. I tried changing soundfonts but that didn't help. I know about the -A switch to amplify, but all that did is cause distortion and I still could hardly hear any drums. I've played the same files on several other computers and sequencers and could hear the drums loud and clear. I tried reading the man pages but frankly I found them very confusing. Is there a way to tell Timidity to use a different soundfont for drums or somehow to just amplify the drum parts? I tried "-A800A" on the cmd line and as I said, I still hardly heard them and it was too loud.

While I'm here, are there any accessible Curses sequencers? I know that I could do various package searches but it's hard to know if one actually works until it's downloaded and installed. I am not a musician and only have an old SB Live! card in this computer, but it would be nice to adjust tempo, instruments, and key. I know Timidity does some of those things but has no way to save the new file. I looked at the help several times for the Timidity Curses interface and I couldn't figure it out. I don't want a GUI program right now because Orca isn't installed yet. I am using grml with Speakup, 256 MB of RAM and a 1.70 GHZ processor. If there is nothing with a Curses interface, I would use a GUI program once I get it up and working. Thanks for any ideas you might have.