Re: Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Hi,

I looked into Timidity after it was recommended here. At least on Ubuntu and I think Debian unstable, freepats is listed as a dependency so you'd have to use the equivs package or similar to override it. Also, it looks like development stopped in 2004. There is a Windows version but I haven't tested it. The Fluid sound font is in fact available in Ubuntu as outlined, but I don't think it can "replace" freepats without the equivs package. The freepats package looked limited from the description. I have some other fairly good sound fonts but I don't know about the licenses and they are generally very big.

Janina Sajka wrote:
Christian writes:
Does anyone know of any softsynth or simular for Linux that can play standard MIDI files?

timidity is the usual tool and meets most needs.