Re: Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Hi,
I also like the soundfont bank from www.personalcopy.com very much. It's also a very good General Midi implementation.

Regards,
Tobias

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

Hi,

Yes, please do!  All you have to do is put this in timidity.cfg:

soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

At least that's all I needed from the Ubuntu sound font package and grml. This is a bug both in the Debian and Ubuntu packages but I suspect it originates with Debian. It works fine without freepats and I created a freepats-dummy package to get around the dependency. I can send it to anyone who wants it off list. It's very small and will automatically be removed if the real freepats package is installed later.

Lorenzo Taylor wrote:
For now, the best work-around is to either install the freepats package
along with timidity for now or simply use equivs to create a dummy
freepats package. Either way, a bug should be filed against the timidity
package to remove the dependency on freepats and make it and/or the
fluid soundfonts a recommendation or suggestion with a preference for
fluid. I can file this bug report, since I have a launchpad account and
I do consider this a bug in the timidity package since the fluid
soundfonts have been introduced. If anyone would like me to do so, I
will post the bug number to the list so that anyone who wishes can
subscribe to the bug.