Re: very unusal pdf problem?

Looks exactly right.  Would you be able to post the total output of
your command?  If the error messages can be looked at in the
source code, perhaps we can get a hint.  Also, the output redirection
implies that you're using a different version than what I'm looking
at, so also post the output of: pdftotext -v

Also, also, immediately after the failing command, post the return
code: echo $?

Also, also, also, maybe you've got a strange config file that's being
read; try forcing a null config file, e.g.:
   pdftotext -cfg /dev/null -opw 'nature*fox' from_idea_to_air.pdf