very unusal pdf problem?

Hi folks,
any wisdom on this one welcome.
I use the pdftotext program at shellworld. this is the first time thought I have run into a problem like I am having though. I bought an e-book, and the file is password protected. I have the password, and pdftotext gives you two different options for opening a password protected file.
-opw for owners password, and-upw for users password.
What I think might be the problem though is that the password has a * in it.
nature*fox
when It try using either option, I get errors suggesting that the file name token is too long, perhaps it is seeing the password as part of the file name? I have tried putting the file password inside less than and greater than signs, even putting the * in quotation marks. It seems I should be able to open it, but I am running out of ideas.
Any  perspective?
Who wrote this program so I might ask them directly?

Thanks,
Karen