Re: [Kde-accessibility] Information about orca

In theory, it might be possible to create an X server that intercepted the calls and made an internal representation of them that was more accessible and navigable.

But with your strategy, you need an OCR for getting the text that is
displayed.

Like JAWS (and WindowEyes?), it would be intercepting the calls to things like XDrawText where the actual text is being passed in to the X server, before it has been rendered to the "screen". However, as you pointed out (and I didn't know before you mentioned it) UltraSonix's difficulty with applications bypassing standard X calls, rendering to an image, and then just having X render the image. It looks like such a solution would need to patch not only X, but the Cairo rendering library, as well as the GTK and KDE libraries, and possibly other rendering libraries (such as xcompmgr, stuff from the Enlightenment window manager, and possibly others).

Yuk.

I don't know for sure, but I thought JAWS was using microsoft's MSAA,
which is just what at-spi is.

They might be using both. My understanding (feable as it may be) was that they started by intercepting GDI calls with their own device-context/display-driver, catching various instructions for rendering text to build an internal model of the screen. After MS added their accessibility framework, they may have made use of it (in addition, or instead).

Intercepting GUI stuff, unless designed from the ground-up to support it and enforce it, is an ugly proposition. Unless developers are forced to use it by way of API requirements, a far-too-large percentage of developers will not take accessibility into consideration when developing an application.

Thus, we end up with this ugly dichotomy of "accessible applications" and "not so accessible applications". It's also one of the beauties of console applications: because they all write to a grid of text cells, everything is exposed as text (okay, it takes going out of one's way to attempt to draw images on a text-cell console) and that text can be navigated fairly easily. As evidenced by yasr, screader, speakup, emacspeak, etc.

Thanks for the info about toolkits bypassing the X APIs for drawing text. It's only 9:00am and I've already learned my something new for the day. I guess I can go back to bed now. :)

-tim