Re: [Kde-accessibility] Information about orca

Hi,

Tim Chase, le Sat 03 Jun 2006 08:25:37 -0500, a écrit :
> >Do you mean, for getting a graphical snapshot of what X displays? You
> >would then have to use an OCR for getting text...
>
> In theory, it might be possible to create an X server that
> intercepted the calls and made an internal representation of them
> that was more accessible and navigable.

But with your strategy, you need an OCR for getting the text that is
displayed.

> I don't think anybody has attempted this

The ultrasonix project attempted it and was sorta successful because at
that time applications were asking the X server to draw text.  But with
nowaday's applications, applications draw everything themselves thanks
to toolkits like gtk or qt, including text, so ultrasonix can't get much
better information than a graphical snapshot, which is difficult to
interpret.

>, but, IMHO, it's the
> best sort of place to build an accessible-GUI solution for
> Linux/BSD, as (much like JAWS) it's an interceptor of all the
> calls for drawing and rendering text on the screen.

I don't know for sure, but I thought JAWS was using microsoft's MSAA,
which is just what at-spi is.

> It wouldn't rely on a particular toolkit (GTK or KDE), but rather
> would work with every X application that used standard text-rendering
> functionality.

X applications don't use standard text-rendering functionalities
(because these are pretty much outdated).

> Just a few thoughts on the matter...

That made sense some time ago, but unfortunately not any more.

That said, for old applications that would be still in use, it might
still make sense.

Samuel