Samba (was: editing linux conf (

At 06:23 PM 5/7/2006, hank wrote:
is it easy to set up?

Samba is notoriously difficult to set up. Well, everybody I've ever talked to struggled with it at first. After you get to know it, you're like, "Why did this seem so hard?"

I'll admit, I've gotten impatient with people who are struggling with samba because it seems so easy now. But I remember spending an entire weekend working on it the first time I set it up.

For me, the key was to calmly and carefully go through the troubleshooting guide on the samba.org web site. If you just keep poking, you're never going to figure it out. But the troubleshooting guide walks you through each possible failure point so that you're sure each level is working before moving on to the next.

It's well worth the effort though.  Samba is a very, very important tool.