Re: editing linux conf files on windows?

At 05:13 PM 5/6/2006, hank wrote:
hello is there a windows text editor that will save and edit conf files eg I want to log in via sftp grab a conf file from linux box configure it on windows then save it in the unix format that it came in put it back in the dir on my linux box
there a editor that I can edit my conf files with?
thanks

I use UltraEdit for this.

Another thing you can do is mount your linux hard drive as a Windows network share via samba and then use TextPad to edit the files. TextPad does not support sftp but I have found it easier to use and less buggy than UltraEdit.

So I do both things. Sometimes I edit config files via UltraEdit and sftp. Sometimes I log into a machine, copy the config file to the samba share, edit it with TextPad, and then copy it back. The second technique may seem like a lot of work but it has the added benefit of being safer. You're making a copy before you edit (which you should do anyway).