Re: UnDeleting Files in Linux?

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:15:14AM +0100, Andor Demarteau wrote:
> actually this is more or less impoissble.
> Normally if a file in linux is gone, it's gone :)
> however, I've seen an undelete for ext2fs once, never tried it.

Some time ago, I had to recover from a total disk crash and it
was possible to get back nearly all the data. However, it required
a lot of googling and studying and was quite risky (I had nothing
to loose back then, but I don't recommend it in your situation -- you
should work on a copy if you want to try).

I don't remember the names of the tools, but I was told by someone later,
that the same would work on ext3.

The bad thing was that it was not possible to reconstruct the *name*
for tons of files and directories, so for many things, one had to
be very clever in using grep.

If there is no easier method, this is a way, but you have to judge
if it's worth the trouble.

With Regards,
Hynek