Re: Postscript Viewer for Text Mode

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, none of these approaches works. The
file appears to be too complex for them. I got a postscript programming
manual online, but the files are in postscript, so I have a Catch 22. I
also need a postscript interpreter that is under the LGPL not the GPL.
there don't seem to be any, so I may wind up writing my own.

John

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, gumnos (Tim Chase) wrote:

> > This looks promising, but the Web page contains no link
> > to download the program, nor any source code.
>
> >From a little digging, I found the source code at
>
> http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/sipb-athena/attic/consult/ps2txt/ps2txt.c
>
> (all one line, again, if OE didn't bung it up again)  I read the source,
> and it's not very glamorous, and may not do an ideal job of getting across
> the content.
>
> Also, in addition to Christian's suggestion of ps2ascii (which should be
> part of the ghostscript package, if you're looking for it), there's one
> called "pstotxt" which also relies on the ghostscript interpreter, but is
> reported to do a better job.
>
> All three utilities are simply filters, to which you can then pump the
> output to your favorite viewer.  Enjoy,
>
> -tim

John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703