Re: Update: Linux Accessibility Event -19 November 2003 - Birmingham

I can't think what apps couldn't be made to function text mode with the
exception of paintingand graphics composition types of apps. I can
certainly think of many that don't, and I can certainly understand how
there are functions one would want to perform that would be best
performed with a graphical display for those who can see such a thing.

I want to do music, for example. A good deal of musical work is looking
at screens of audio wave displays and doing various things based in part
on what one sees.

But, ultimately it's all about owhat one hears. AFter all, it's music.
So, the graphical display isn't really a necessity, but a convenience
for the sighted user.

technomage writes:
> From: technomage <technomage-hawke@xxxxxxx>
>
> Blindtech,
> there are just some apps that will not function in any way without a gui. its
> an unfortunate fact of life when dealing with modern technology.. it would be
> nice if everything worked in text-only mode, but, if wishes were horses, all
> beggers would ride.
>
> Still, at least the guys at the X consotium are getting the hint. :)
>

> Mage
>
> On Friday 10 October 2003 04:31 pm, BlindTech wrote:
> > i thought thats why most blind users switch to linux to begin with cause of
> > the text and security. now there is people wanting gui??? i don't get it.
> > well you can't satisfy them all.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group