Re: Any need for another sw/hw Daisy reader (linux, embedded, wi ndows; in that order) ?

Dear Johan:

Well, as you've discovered, the quality of DAISY 2.02 titles is all over
the map. Fortunately, any given producer tends to be consistant, though
validity itself is loosely construed.

This was a mistake of DAISY 2.0 that DAISY now freely admits and is
intent on not repeating with the DAISY 3.0 implementation. As a result,
the first tool for DAISY 3.0 is a validator--and it's now available at:

http://zedval.sf.net

I will be very interested for any problem reports you might have using
Zedval under Linux. I have not yet had the time to try it myself, but I
am concerned for several reasons not the least being the relative lack
of experience among the developers.

The next step for DAISY 3.0 development, now in process, is the creation
of content that is known to demonstrate proper tagging and that will use
all available tags, and serve as reference content for DAISY
implementation tools. This content will be available some time this
year, and I will announce it here as I see there's interest.

Johan Knol writes:
> From: "Johan Knol" <johan.knol@xxxxxxxx>

> executable.
> > Well, OK, but now I get a 404 from this url.
>
> sed s/01/0.1/
>
> > Also, not to nitpick, but Linux files aren't usually packed with zip.
> > Instead, they're usually tar'd and gunzip'd (or bunzip'd). I know,
> > picky, picky.
>
> It's just a single file, so there was no need to tar it. But you are right
> .tar.gz is more common so I changed that.
>
> Thanks for the iso links. The first one I downloaded (39_steps.iso) ncc.html
> isn't a valid xml-file though, it mixes <span></SPAN> etc. Also <A
> href=..smil..> isn't valid xml either (elements should be lowercase). Is
> this valid daisy?
>
> Please advice,
>
> Anyway I fixed the first bug (segfault) exposed by this (see the Changelog).
>
> Johan

Janina Sajka
Email: janina@xxxxxxxxxxx		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Working Group
Free Standards Group