Re: formant synthesis for linux?

At 11:08 AM 20/09/2003, Lorenzo Prince wrote:
I'm sure it would be easy enough to write an Emacspeak server or other interface program to TuxTalk. The problem is
that the last time I tried TuxTalk, which was only about a week ago I was very disappointed in the sound quality,
pronuncition and voice inflection. Basically, TuxTalk sounds like a stoned Braille 'n Speak. And when I say stoned I
really mean bigtime stoned. ;) It has about 3 notes it can talk at, sounds like it's coming out of a Braille 'n speak
speaker and is verry muffled, and the Braille 'n speak pronounces things much better believe it or not. I do however
kinda like the strange sorta-Brittish sounding accent. It makes me laugh. :))

I personally don't mind paying for a speech synthesizer that sounds good. I don't like any of the free alternatives, with the exception being ViaVoice.

Luke