OT: IBM Thinkpad 600 Serial Ports

To those who have used Linux on Thinkpads: did you do a talking install?

After using ps2.exe to enable the serial port (ps2 serial enable), I
booted the Debian Speakup installation disks, with:

linux speakup_synth=dectlk,speakup_port=ttyS0

(also tried it with no port spec)

and get no speech.  When I have someone look at the screen, where I place
a cat of /proc/interrupts, there are no serial ports shown, and only 0, 2,
11, and 14, appear to be used; with none of them being serial ports, IR
ports, parallel ports, or the like.  Note, that I have disabled the IR and
parallel ports.

Is there anything in the CMOS that could effect this, or does Linux
require a modualized serial driver to make this work?

Thanks

Luke