Re: OT: IBM Thinkpad 600 Serial Ports

Luke,

You've got it half right.

1.)	Make sure nothing else is grabbing the serial port. If memory
serves, on this model the ir port has it by default. Disable that first.

2.)	Enabling serial port access is a two step process, as I recall.
This is true whether you do it in bios or with the provided Thinkpad
utilities for DOS. First you turn serial on, and then you enable sera.
It's two commands.

Luke Davis writes:
> From: Luke Davis <ldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> To those who have used Linux on Thinkpads: did you do a talking install?
>
> After using ps2.exe to enable the serial port (ps2 serial enable), I
> booted the Debian Speakup installation disks, with:
>
> linux speakup_synth=dectlk,speakup_port=ttyS0
>
> (also tried it with no port spec)
>
> and get no speech.  When I have someone look at the screen, where I place
> a cat of /proc/interrupts, there are no serial ports shown, and only 0, 2,
> 11, and 14, appear to be used; with none of them being serial ports, IR
> ports, parallel ports, or the like.  Note, that I have disabled the IR and
> parallel ports.
>
> Is there anything in the CMOS that could effect this, or does Linux
> require a modualized serial driver to make this work?
>
> Thanks
>
> Luke

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development