Re: timidity build

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, jude dashiell wrote:

> I got timidity built and copied a configuration file
> supplied with slackware 9-0 into
> /usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg and at about

My config file is in /etc (I point to it with an
option, or symlink: see below).

> line 37 the file errors out since it appears unable
> to find its instruments.

There is a line in the config which tells timidity
where to find it's instruments.

> Is there an additional file or files I need to

There is an option to timidity (listed with the -h
help option) that might help in debugging that issue:
  -c file    Read extra configuration file

> download or is something else misconfigured?  I gave
> it no options on configure command line

That could be part of the problem.  Do something like
timidity -in -c /etc/timidity.cfg /usr/local/media/Audio/Midi/

The -in makes it use the ncurses text menu interface.
The last pathname is where I keep my midi files.

> and am using os rather than alsa on this system if
> that helps any.

I use the default OSS drivers too.

Red Hat uses a symlink from where timidity expects to
find it's config file to the real one in /etc, where it
should be according to the file system standards.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html